Highways England has released details about the work that was needed to repair the A591.
The major Lake District route re-opened today, having been badly damaged by Storm Desmond.
Timeline of repairs
- December 2015 - A591 closes after storm damage. Clean up begins
- January 2016 - Surveys and design work completed. Construction vehicles move in
- February 2016 - Work focuses on new 106-metre retaining wall
- March 2016 - Repairs continue along route, including bridges, walls and drains
- April 2016 - Stonemasons complete retaining wall
- May 2016 - Resurfacing takes place along route
- 11 May 2016 - A591 re-opens
How much stone was used in the retaining wall?
What have Highways England improved?