The process of decommissioning the world's first full-scale nuclear power station in west Cumbria, has reached the halfway mark.
Calder Hall produced electricity and radio cobalt - used in the treatment of cancer, for 47 years before it closed in 2003.
Now, workers have reached the halfway point in the defueling programme which began in 2011. They have to remove tens of thousand of fuel rods from the site's reactors.
It is scheduled for completion in 2019 and then it can be fully decommissioned and shut down.
Calder Hall began powering homes and businesses with carbon-freeelectricity in 1956, the year it was opened by the Queen.
It closed in 2003, following 47 years of safe operations – 27years longer than was originally planned.
As well as producing electricity, Calder Hall was also used to sterilise hypodermic syringes and produce radio cobalt used in the treatment of cancer.
Calder Hall was the first of a series of Magnox stations to be built in the UK - so-called because the fuel cans were made of magnesium alloy.
Calder Hall and Wylfa, on Anglesey, north Wales, are the last two remaining Magnox stations going through the defueling process.
Wylfa was the final one of the fleet to close, coming off the grid in December 2015.