Mountain rescue teams in Cumbria are urging people going fell walking to make sure they're aware that the clocks go back this weekend.
Clocks go back 1 hour at 2am on Sunday 29 October across the UK.
Rescue teams in the Lake District say they often see an increase in calls, when people are caught out by the earlier darkness.
They are advising walkers to check they are properly equipped before heading out:
- Consider the equipment, experience, capabilities and enthusiasm of party members.
- Check the weather forecast and local conditions; Scottish mountains can be major undertakings.
- Wear suitable boots with a treaded sole which provide support for ankles.
- Clothing should be colourful, warm, windproof and waterproof.
- Pack sweet food which restores energy quickly.
- Take a map, compass (and the ability to use them), and at least one reliable watch.
A step-by-step guide for beginners on how to read a compass can be found at https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/guides/beginners-guide-to-using-a-compass/.
For more safety advice visit http://mountainrescue.org.uk/safety-advice.