Carlisle City Council has approved plans for a £19 million redevelopment of The Sands Centre in Carlisle, despite concerns.
Worries over spending so much money on a site that so recently flooded and the loss of the public climbing wall have been expressed.
Other's have questioned whether this is the right use of £19 million.
The plans include:
- A 25-metre eight-lane swimming pool.
- A 20-metre by eight-metre learners’ pool, with moveable floor.
- A 120-station fitness suite.
- New four-court sports hall and gallery.
- Dance and exercise studios.
- NHS physiotherapy suite.
- Existing sports hall transformed into a dedicated auditorium.
- New bar and café facilities.
The City Council says it will now continue progressing the design and looking at potential contractors to deliver the scheme.
The redevelopment also depends on possible funding from Sports England.
Construction is expected to start in Spring 2019 and be completed at the end of 2020.