Changes to the opening hours of community recycling centres in the Scottish Borders will be introduced from 1 April 2019.
The aim is to make sure the service meets the needs of the public better and is more sustainable for Scottish Borders Council.
In a 2016 waste survey 46% of respondents said they would use a community recycling centre if it was open later; between 5pm to 7pm.
Community recycling centre statistics show that usage is 45% higher in the summer than the winter, with centres used 11% more at weekends than weekdays.
The new opening hours will see a number of posts created, with overtime significantly reduced.
The changes will include:
- All community recycling centres will remain open at weekends, and will be open later to meet demand.
- April to September weekday hours will be 10am to 6.45pm.
- October to March weekday hours will be 10am to 4.45pm.
- Selkirk and Eyemouth will close two weekdays per week (Monday to Friday) and all other sites will close one weekday per week (Monday to Friday).
- When a local facility is closed, the nearest alternative facility will be open.
- All sites will shut from 1.15pm to 2pm each day in order for staff to have a lunch break.
More information is available at www.scotborders.gov.uk/recyclingcentres.