1. ITV Report

Teen jailed for Botchergate crash which left pedestrians badly hurt

  • CCTV footage shows the moment before Brown ploughed into a group of pedestrians in Carlisle.

A speeding teen driver who caused a horror Saturday night crash in central Carlisle which left two pedestrians badly hurt has been jailed.

Owen Luke Brown, 19, was haring down Botchergate at between 48 and 54 mph in his Ford Fiesta when he crashed into a turning taxi and veered into unsuspecting pedestrians and customers outside the popular Border Rambler pub at around 7pm on September 15 last year.

The sickening impact was captured on CCTV and seen by shocked bystanders who rushed to help.

Moments before the collision, Brown sounded his horn in frustration at a couple who had to take evasive action while crossing the city's busiest street, which has a 30mph limit and was lined with revellers.

Two friends stood outside the Border Rambler, Glenn O'Fee and Adam Bunting, sustained serious and life-changing injuries in the shocking collision, while Mr Bunting's partner was one of five other people also knocked over and hurt.

Mr Bunting suffered two fractured vertebrae in his lower back, a fractured cheekbone and eye socket, a bleed on the brain and significant cuts and bruises.

The court heard he faced a "long road to recovery". Mr O'Fee suffered a serious leg fracture, underwent major surgery, was immobilised for three months and had since been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Owen Luke Brown has been jailed for 56 months. Credit: Court reporter

Prosecutor Kim Whittlestone told Carlisle Crown Court of the impact on those affected: "A common theme from all the people is the anxiety and distress that has been caused by this incident, which has left them with scars."

Brown, of Dalston Road, Carlisle, admitted causing serious injury to both Mr O'Fee and Mr Bunting by dangerous driving at a time when he was aged just 18.

Experienced 57-year-old taxi driver Stephen Reay, of Cumwhinton, near Carlisle, admitted careless driving following his "momentary lapse" behind the wheel of his Skoda Octavia. Both men of previous good character, they were sentenced today.

Brown was described as "profoundly sorry" for the "carnage" caused, said Paul Tweddle, defending, who added: "It was not a deliberate act. It was an act of stupidity. There was no malice - simply a high level of folly and irresponsibility."

Brown wept in the dock as he was given an immediate 29-month custodial sentence, and banned from driving for 56 months.

"You must have been aware that you were grossly exceeding the speed limit for the circumstances in which you found yourself," Judge Nicholas Barker told the teen. "But for your excessive speed, the collision would not have occurred." Judge Barker added: "You ignored your responsibility that night and the consequences were appalling and very significant because of your driving."

Reay was fined £400 and given six penalty points.