A ward at the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven remains closed to visitors due to an outbreak of Norovirus.
The hospital says the decision was a difficult one but patient health and safety was the priority. The public are being reminded to stay away from hospitals if they have any symptoms of the winter vomiting virus.
There are simple steps people can take to reduce the risk of spreading norovirus:
- Thorough hand washing.
- Don’t prepare food while infected.
- Immediately clean and disinfect surfaces after episodes of diarrhoea and vomiting.
- Wash clothes and bed linen that may be contaminated.
- Stay at home if displaying any symptoms and for 48 hours after symptoms have gone.
- Do not visit health and care settings and keep children off school.
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust are also advising people to get flu jabs after an increase in the number of cases reported.