Work to clear more than 7,000 tonnes of debris from the site of the demolished Central Plaza Hotel is on course to finish next month.
Depending on weather conditions, Carlisle City Council say they are due to complete the scheme by the 8 March.
The dangerous state of the building led to the closure of Victoria Viaduct, one of the main roads leading into the centre of the city.
The route, which has been off limits to vehicles and pedestrians since October 2019, remains closed while the removal of debris is ongoing.
The council says they will update members of the public once it is safe enough to reopen to road.
Carlisle City Council spokesperson said: "Weather permitting, the final programme of works is scheduled to be completed on the former Central Plaza hotel site on Sunday 8 March.
"The demolition of the building was completed ahead of schedule in late December and Cumbria County Council reopened the footpaths across Victoria Viaduct.
"Once our contractors leave the site on Sunday 8 March, the highway will be handed back to Cumbria County Council. They will then advise on when Victoria Viaduct reopens.
"The depth of the site is significant - there is now a two-storey high difference in level between Victoria Viaduct/West Walls and the lower ground floor of the former Central Plaza hotel.
"There will also be a 75-metre-long, three-metre-high fence along the perimeter of the site at the lower level; known as Backhouses Lanes.
"We will update on you on progress and any changes to the planned on-site completion date."
The building, which had been apart of the city's skyline for more than 100 years, has now been fully demolished after falling into disrepair since it closure in 2004.