A weekly newspaper that went into administration earlier this month has found a buyer.
The Penrith-based Cumberland and Westmorland Herald covers the Eden area and has been in circulation for 160 years.
Uncertainty has surrounded the newspaper's future after it was announced the company had called in administrators on February 4.
Staff were told of its fate after, what was been described as, "increasing deficit in the company’s defined benefits pension scheme" and "longstanding pressures facing the regional print media industry."
The buyer is Andy Barr, from Barron, a global nuclear decommissioning business based in Appleby.
The news comes just days after Newsquest Cumbria, owner of The Cumberland News and the News and Star, announced they were launching a new newspaper for Eden Valley and Penrith called the 'Cumberland and Westmorland Gazette'.
The company is now holding off publishing the first edition, which was expected to be printed on Friday.
A spokesperson from the media group said: "Newsquest Cumbria understands that the Cumberland & Westmorland Herald newspaper has been saved by a local businessman and therefore we’re suspending this week’s launch of the Cumberland & Westmorland Gazette.
The Herald has covered the Penrith and Eden Valley area since 1890 and is one of the oldest independent newspapers in the country.
More details of the alleged buyer will be announced "tomorrow morning."