"Lives were definitely saved by the alarms": Three people escape unharmed after large fire at Carlisle restaurant

The fire service say that properly installed smoke alarms saved the lives of three residents' after a large fire in Carlisle.

Emergency services were alerted to a blaze at the Stanwix Tandoori restaurant, on Scotland Road, shortly after 3:30am this morning (24 March).

Three people escaped unhurt from the property. The road was closed in both directions between the junctions of Etterby Street and Brampton Road.

The aftermath of the blaze. Credit: Carlisle East.

Angela Opie, from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: "I believe lives were definitely saved by the alarms and I can't emphasise enough how important it is to have working smoke alarms.

"We are going to be on scene most of the day and we will be visiting other premises in the area.  So we are happy to give fire safety advice in the surrounding areas."

A number of nearby properties were evacuated, and motorists and members of the public are asked to avoid the area while emergency services tend to the scene.

Scotland Road, Carlisle. Credit: ITV Border

A spokesperson from Carlisle East Fire Station said: "In attendance, crews discovered a well develop fire, and requested the attendance of an additional 3 fire engines and our Aerial Ladder Platform."The blaze was brought under control using 10 sets of breathing apparatus, main jets, hosereel jets, ladders, and small tools.

"Some great work by crew in arduous conditions, and big thanks to Cumbria Police for ensuring the safety of the scene for our crews to work in."We still have a presence on scene, and traffic may be disrupted for a while."

More to follow.