'Shut doors and windows' - warning as fire rages in Cumbria

  • Scenes from the fire.

People in part of north Cumbria have been urged to close their doors and windows because of fumes from a fire involving 500 tonnes of plastic.

Firefighters and police are at the scene of an incident in Carlisle, on the Rockcliffe Estate. Fire crews were called there at 9am with the police called afterwards.

A commercial building is on fire and it is thought that its roof could contain asbestos, which has led to the warning for nearby residents.

Both Carlisle East and Carlisle West fire stations have sent crews to the scene. Five appliances are at work there.

A spokesperson for Cumbria Constabulary said there is a chance the fire involves fumes from burning asbestos.

The smoke may contain fumes from burning asbestos. Credit: ITV Border

People in the area - including in Rockcliffe village - have been urged to shut their doors and windows as a precaution.

The spokesperson said: "Due to the smoke, which may involve fumes from burning asbestos, nearby residence including Rockcliffe village are advised to close all doors and windows as a precaution."

Read more: