- 3 updates
The Kelso Ram Sale is considered by many to be the biggest, and best known, one-day event of its kind in the world:
The annual Kelso ram sale takes place today, and here are a few facts you might not have known about the event:
- The first Ram Sale was held in the Knowes in Kelso, way back in 1836
- It's tradition for the bell to be rung at 10am exactly by the Secretary of the Society, to begin selling
- A 'Tup Taxi' helps buyers transport their new rams from the pens to their vehicle
- It's considered the biggest single day ram sale in the world
- In 1993 more than £2 million was made in sales
- In the last few years rams have been exported to three EU countries, Holland, Germany and Ireland
One of the world's biggest ram auctions is taking place in the Borders today.
The annual Kelso Ram Sale, which traces its history back to the 1830s, will see thousands of rams bought and sold at Springwood Park.