Live updates

Warning for boat owners on Windermere

Windermere Credit: ITV Border

Boat owners on Windermere are being warned to carry out safety checks on their vessels and make sure they're in full working order ahead of the boating season.

The warning from lake wardens follows the 2013 Windermere tragedy when a mother and daughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning because of a faulty generator on a private boat.

SLDC Lake Warden Martin Dodgson explained the most common problem the wardens are called out to are over-heated engines after winterisation.

He says it is essential to have all engines checked and serviced.

"A boat's fuel, gas and electrical systems should be checked and maintained on a regular basis. It is important to make sure there is fresh fuel in the engine after it has been unused for a prolonged period of time.

"Alarms and sensors should always be re-installed and tested after winterisation; all boats should have fire alarms and carbon monoxide sensors."

– SLDC Lake Warden Martin Dodgson

SLDC's Lake Wardens have this boat check list:

  • Check the water tank
  • Test carbon monoxide sensor
  • Check the skin fitting
  • Check gas and electrical systems -check them regularly and make sure there are no leaks
  • Check the engine and have it serviced
  • Check life jackets and make sure theyare in date - check them annually
  • Test smoke alarms - fire can spreadquickly on a boat, even on water


Firecrews warn of carbon monoxide danger

Firecrews are reminding households in Cumbria that carbon monoxide detectors save lives after a potential tragedy was averted last month.

Firefighters attended a report of a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm sounding at a property in Marks Avenue, Carlisle on Friday August 23.

The boiler was found to be leaking, which without the alarm could have gone undetected.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and without a detector it might not be discovered until it's too late.

This incident in Carlisle shows how important it is for households to take safety precautions and get a detector installed.

Carbon monoxide detectors are relatively cheap and available to buy at a range of shops or online.

It could be the most important purchase you ever make.

– Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service's Deputy Chief Fire Officer Ian Cartwright