Live updates

Chimneys should be swept

Experts say chimneys should be swept at least once a year Credit: PA

Firefighters are warning people in Cumbria that they need to get their chimneys swept.

Thirty fires have broken out in the region over the last four weeks.

Experts say that chimneys should be cleaned at least once year.

Advertisement

Duns family in hospital after chimney fire

Four members of a family have been taken to hospital suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after a chimney fire at their home in the Scottish Borders.

Firefighters were called to the property in Preston, Duns, at around 6pm last night (11th September).

They found a blockage in the chimney, which caused the fire and allowed carbon monoxide fumes to enter the house.

A man, women, and two children, were taken to the Borders General Hospital in Melrose, suffering from the possible side effects of gas poisoning.