Live updates

Car seen driving wrong way down M74 motorway

Police are appealing for witnesses. Credit: PA

Police are appealing for witnesses, after a car was reportedly spotted heading northbound on the southbound carriageway of the M74 in Dumfries and Galloway.

The incident happened at around 10:40pm on Thursday 16 February, near to Ecclefechan.

Several concerned people made 999 calls to report the incident to Police Scotland.

They're urging anyone else with information to contact them on 101.


Sheep disrupt south of Scotland motorway traffic

The sheep have now been cleared. Credit: PA

Police have cleared sheep from the M74 motorway in Dumfries and Galloway.

They were affecting northbound traffic at junction 19, but have now been returned to their fields.

52-year-old dies in M74 crash

Fatal road crash on M74 Credit: ITV Border

A 52-year-old man has died in a crash involving two vehicles on the M74 near Lockerbie.

The Collision happened around 16:50 on Wednesday the 5 August.

A Vauxhall Combo van was involved in a crash with a Mercedes Actros lorry near to junction 17 northbound on the M74 near to Lockerbie.

Emergency services were called to the scene where the 52 year old man who was a passenger in the Vauxhall van was pronounced dead.

The driver of the Vauxhall van was taken by ambulance to the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh where he is being treated for his injuries.

Hospital staff describe his condition as serious.

The driver and passenger of the Mercedes lorry were not injured in the crash.

Police Scotland are appealing for witnesses with any information of the crash to come forward.


Police appeal for witnesses

Three people were badly hurt after a Range Rover crashed into the concrete upright of a motorway bridge. The three, a man and two women, had to be freed from the wreckage of the vehicle four miles south of Beattock on the northbound carriageway of the A74M.

Firefighters worked at the scene for more than 90 minutes to free the trapped who were said to be badly hurt. Police are still treating the accident as a potential fatal after two air ambulances were sent to the motorway at Junction 15 north of Johnstonebridge.

Police closed both carriageways for two hours and thousands of vehicles were queued back up to six miles. Police set up diversions and later opened one lane on each side of the motorway to let traffic off before closing the northbound lane again for a major accident investigation.