Live updates

Victoria Viaduct set to reopen

Victoria Viaduct, Carlisle Credit: ITV Border

A major route in Carlisle will reopen tomorrow evening after it was forced to close for almost two months.

Contractors working to make the former Central Plaza Hotel on Victoria Viaduct safe have confirmed that work will be completed on Wednesday at 9pm.

Carlisle City Council said both Victoria Viaduct and West Walls, including footpaths, will reopen soon after.

The footpath in front of the Central Plaza building will remain closed.

Work will continue on site within the confines of the scaffold for several more days but this should not impact on the highway or pedestrians. This will include bricking up windows and further work on one of the chimneys.”

– Carlisle City Council statement

More brickwork to be removed from Central Plaza Hotel

The building has closed the Victoria Viaduct for more than a month Credit: ITV Border

The majority of seven tonnes of loose brickwork has been removed from the front of the former Central Plaza Hotel, with 25 more tonnes to be removed from the rest of the building.

Carlisle City Council says that once seven tonnes has been removed contractors will start on the next stage of works.

This includes the removal of two large chimneys and the roof over the front section of the building.

A date for which Victoria Viaduct will reopen has yet to be announced.

RELATED:

Advertisement

Condition of Central Plaza Hotel remains 'critically dangerous'

The building has closed the Victoria Viaduct for more than four weeks Credit: ITV Border

The initial findings confirmed that the former Central Plaza Hotel is in a 'critically dangerous condition', according to Carlisle City Council.

An inspection of the building by a specialist structural engineer took place on Wednesday 30 May.

He assessed the site and is compiling a report that sets out what further work is required and how this could be undertaken.

In addition to the seven tonnes of brickwork, two chimneys also need to be removed.

There are concerns about the stability of the front of the roof.

The report is expected to be received by Monday 4 June.

No stone work has fallen, but the detailed assessment is needed to set out how to make the building safe and to remove the immediate danger. We are continuing to work in partnership with Cumbria County Council’s highways team and specialist contractors to ensure the safety of the former Central Plaza building.”

– Carlisle City Council Spokesperson

Condition of Central Plaza Hotel remains 'critically dangerous'

The building has closed the Victoria Viaduct for more than four weeks Credit: ITV Border

The condition of the former Central Plaza Hotel remains 'critically dangerous', according to Carlisle City Council.

A specialist structural engineer will inspect the building today.

Works to ensure the safety of the building were suspended last week, after a detailed inspection revealed the amount of work needed is 'far greater than anticipated'.

Expert advice is needed to establish what further work is required and how this will be undertaken.

We are continuing to work in partnership with Cumbria County Council’s highways team and specialist contractors to ensure the safety of the former Central Plaza building.”

– Carlisle City Council Spokesperson

Condition of Central Plaza Hotel now 'critically dangerous'

The building has closed the Victoria Viaduct for more than three weeks Credit: ITV Border

The condition of the former Central Plaza Hotel is now being described as 'critically dangerous', according to Carlisle City Council.

Works to ensure the safety of the building have been suspended, after a detailed inspection revealed the amount of work needed is 'far greater than anticipated'.

Two cranes working to remove several tonnes of dangerous brickwork have now left the site.

A specialist engineer is expected to inspect the building next week.

Work halted on former Central Plaza Hotel

The building has closed the Victoria Viaduct for more than three weeks Credit: ITV Border

Works to ensure the safety of the crumbling former Central Plaza Hotel have stopped.

It comes after a further detailed inspection of the building found more issues of 'serious concern'.

Carlisle City Council says this will result in more work than initially planned.

To ensure the safety of those working on the site, works have ceased until a further specialist assessment is made. This will establish what further work is required and how this will be undertaken."

– Carlisle City Council spokesperson

RELATED:

Advertisement

Council agrees to seek help with demolition of former Plaza Hotel

The crumbling building has closed the Victoria Viaduct for almost three weeks Credit: ITV Border

An emergency council meeting last night called for help to demolish or find a new owner for the former Central Plaza hotel, a Grade II listed building, which has closed one of Carlisle's main roads.

Councillors agreed that in the absence of any plans for renovation and investment, Carlisle City Council will seek Crown Estate and Government help to demolish the building.

The derelict building, which has no current owner, poses a serious health and safety risk and has closed the Victoria Viaduct for almost three weeks.

Seven tonnes of brickwork to be removed from former Central Plaza Hotel

Victoria Viaduct has been closed for nearly three weeks Credit: ITV Border

Two cranes are being set up in Carlisle to begin removing seven tonnes of dangerous masonry from the front of the former Central Plaza Hotel.

Victoria Viaduct has been closed for nearly three weeks because of the state of the building.

The City Council's leader Colin Glover said the council has been speaking with Newcastle based finance firm Invenium, which has plans for a 60 bedroom hotel together with bistro bar and office space.

It's still not clear how long the closure of Victoria Viaduct will last.