Police warn of possible asbestos in Carlisle fire

Police have warned people near a "significant" fire at a waste management site in Carlisle to stay indoors and close their windows, because there may be asbestos in the smoke.

Crews were called to the site shortly before 4pm. No one was injured.

View all 8 updates ›

'Design of building' prevented spread of fire

Fire and police investigators are trying to determine the cause of a huge fire at a waste recycling site in Carlisle.

The blaze broke out at Cumbria Waste Management on Kingmoor Road yesterday afternoon. Thick plumes of black smoke were visible for miles around.

While the risk to health was low there is some fear the smoke may have contained asbestos. Kim Inglis reports

More top news