Finalised proposals for a quarter of a million pound upgrade to the Waterhead, on the northern shore of Windermere, are due to go before Lake District national park planners.
The plans were drawn up following a public consultation which received more than 170 responses.
South Lakeland District Council is investing £250,000 to fund the improvements and Lakes Parish Council is also committing up to £20,000 to the scheme.
The council says the key aims of the project are to:
- deliver a promenade which residents and businesses can be proud of
- improve the visitor experience and create an environment which encourages people to return
- restore and enhance existing features along the promenade
- make better use of space along the waterfront, improving it for pedestrians
- deliver a sustainable and environmentally friendly scheme, using durable materials which are locally sourced