Advertisement

60 years since west Cumbrian nuclear power station opened

Credit: Sellafield Ltd

It's been 60 years since the world's first full-scale nuclear power station, Calder Hall, opened in west Cumbria.

In celebration, The Beacon museum are opening a new exhibition documenting the history of the station.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II came to west Cumbria to officially open the plant in 1956.