Police are warning residents in the Wetheral area to be careful of suspicious men going door-to-door offering painting services.
Police say the men have been doing so over the last couple of days.
People are encouraged to follow the following advice when confronted by bogus callers:
- Never agree to have any work done by someone who is just passing by
- Make sure your back door is locked if you are answering the front door to someone you don’t know
- Watch out for anyone who says they’re in a hurry or it’s an emergency
- Don’t let them pressure you. If in doubt, call a neighbour, a friend or the police
- If you think a bogus caller has been to your home, call the police on 999 immediately
Police are asking residents of Wetheral as well as surrounding villages to call Detective Constable James Aiston on 101 quoting 'incident number 86 of 20 January 2017' or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.