Only a quarter of parents in Cumbria are aware of NHS guidelines concerning healthy packed lunches for their children. The Eatwell guide says a child's lunchbox should:
- be based on starchy carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta).
- include fresh fruit and vegetables/salad.
- include a source of protein such as beans and pulses, eggs, fish, meat, cheese (or dairy alternative).
- include a side dish such as a low-fat and lower-sugar yoghurt (or dairy alternative), tea cake, fruit bread, plain rice/corn cakes, homemade plain popcorn, sugar-free jelly.
- include a drink such as water, skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, sugar- free or no-added-sugar drinks.