Campaign to cut CO deaths amongst campers and festival goers

Hazel Woodhams pictured with Roland Wessling

Roland Wessling from West Yorkshire whose partner, Hazel Woodhams, died from carbon monoxide poisoning is spearheading a campaign urging people on camping holidays to stay safe or face deadly consequences.

Gas Safe Register, the UK’s official gas safety body, has issued urgent advice to the 3.7 million Brits planning on camping this summer and festival season, following new research that shows a lack of awareness among the public of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning when camping.

The study shows that one in five people were not aware that using a gas barbeque inside a tent can lead to CO poisoning, while almost a third did not know cooking on a charcoal barbeque inside can do the same.

Even sitting too close to a charcoal fire or barbeque can lead to poisoning, which only a third of those surveyed were aware of.

Around a quarter of those planning on holidaying in the UK this summer will be camping or caravanning and there are concerns that if the cold wet summer so far experienced across the UK continues, many campers will be tempted to cook inside tents or caravans with equipment that needs ventilation such as barbeques and portable gas cookers.

Because carbon monoxide is odourless and can’t be seen it can kill quickly with no warning and the Gas Safe Register is urging campers to follow a number of basic rules to keep safe.

As well as making sure your appliances are in good working order before heading off, Gas Safe Register is also encouraging campers to follow basic safety rules which include never taking a barbeque, light or heater into a tent, caravan hut, or confined area with no ventilation, and never leaving a lit barbeque unattended or while sleeping.