Here is a list of tips on the best ways to avoid cyber crime:
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Use different passwords for different sites.
- Use complicated passwords which do not consist of dictionary words - try remembering a sentence, use the first letters of each word and add something relevant to the site you are using. For Example; I Like Eating Ice Cream In The Sun ITV = ILEICITSitv - add numbers too if you like.
- Try to limit the amount of information that you give. Use a nick name, use your dates with dates of birth unless it’s for legal reasons, just put a different date of birth in. Try to confuse the system.
- Make sure you 'tick' or sometimes 'untick' those pesky boxes to make sure your details aren't passed on without you knowing.
Make sure any old devices are completely destroyed if you don't want them anymore.
If you have an internet enabled device and want to sell them on or give them to charity or a recycling company make sure you encrypt the phone before going ahead with the factory reset. And always consult an expert to make sure you are fully safe to pass on that device. - Data wiping companies can be found online.
People don’t have to be victims, they can actually take some control themselves.