The great and the good of the curry industry came together in Bradford last night for the first ever Bradford Curry Awards.
Bradford is the current holder of the national Curry Capital of Britain title for the sixth year running and the local awards were launched to promote pride in Bradford and profile the industry’s rich heritage.
Eight curry establishments in the city picked up awards at the Cedar Court Hotel in Bradford.
- BEST RESTAURANT - JUDGES’ CHOICE - Prashad
- BEST RESTAURANT - PEOPLE’S CHOICE (more than 6,500 votes cast) - Café Akbars
- BEST CHEF - Tied between Minal Patel of Prashad and Sami Ullah of My Lahore
- BEST MANAGER - Mohammed Hussain of My Lahore
- BEST VEGETARIAN - Prashad
- BEST OUTSIDE CATERER - My Lahore
- BEST TAKEAWAY - Tied between Sultan and My Lahore
- BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE - Prashad
A surprise innovation award went to My Lahore for their success in harnessing the digital era and special recognition awards were given to women chefs Kaushy Patel and Sabra Kader.
The curry industry is worth £4billion to the national economy – with 23 million people regularly consuming curry meals and £500,000 of this was contributed by Bradford.