Highways England are urging motorists to make sure their vehicle is ready for journeys this Easter weekend.
459 miles of roadworks will be lifted meaning around 99 per cent of motorways and major A roads will be roadworks free in time for Easter.
Research shows almost half of all breakdowns are caused by simple mechanical problems which could be avoided with simple checks. Nearly a quarter are caused by tyre problems.
- Fuel - Make sure you have enough to get to your destination
- Tyres - Check your tyre pressure and the condition of your tyres, including the spare. Look out for cuts or wear
- Engine Oil - Check oil before any long journey, top up if needed.
- Water - Ensure you have good visibility, always keep your screen wash topped up so you can clear debris or dirt off your windscreen
- Lights - Check If your indicators, hazard lights, headlights, fog lights, reverse lights or brake lights are all working.