Lincolnshire man dies in 'freak accident' in Thai hotel room

Luke Goodere Credit: MEN MEDIA

A tourist from Lincolnshire has died in a hotel room in Thailand after a bizarre accident.

33-year-old Luke Goodere had stopped off at Phi Phi island on his way back home to Sydney. The trip was part of his first visit to see his family in the UK for over two years.

A hearing in Lincoln was told he went to a festival with friends before going back to his hotel room. Mr Goodere was seen by a friend to be fast asleep at 4am but was found dead just four hours later.

It is believed he may have got out of bed to use the toilet, tripped over his suitcase on the floor and fallen through glass doors to the balcony.

Thai police revealed that he suffered a fatal abdominal injury from a shard of broken glass.

An inquest heard that it is believed that in the early hours of the morning the 33-year-old fell through the glass doors to the balcony. His suitcase was between the bed and the door so potentially he had tripped.

A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as abdominal haemorrhage as a result of abdominal injury.

A Coroner concluded that Mr Goodere died as a consequence of an accident on April 11, 2019.

The best evidence is that he was socialising at a festival. He had consumed some alcohol and he and his friends returned to his accommodation.

Coroner Paul Smith