Marsden Moor: Fire on moorland reignites after blaze had been under control

Emergency crews are still tackling a large fire on Marsden Moor which started on Sunday evening and has caused major damage.

The fire was mostly put out throughout Monday but reignited at around 4pm, seven fire crews from West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester are currently at the scene.

A specialist helicopter is also helping to fight the blaze and can be seen dropping water on the moorland.

Two pockets of moorland are currently on fire.

The fire started on an area of National Trust land near Black Moss Reservoir and Swellands Reservoir around 7pm on Sunday evening and had a mile-long flame front at its height.

Local residents have been advised to keep their windows and doors closed because of the large plumes of smoke and people have been told to stay away from the moor.

The helicopter is refilling at a local reservoir. Credit: ITV News

Authorities said the fire ''could have been avoided.''

The area is known for its breeding bird habitat and is a popular site for rare curlews. It is also home to short-eared owl and mountain hares.

It follows several weeks of dry weather, which have made the moors extremely vulnerable to fire.

The fire service has said that West Yorkshire Police are conducting an investigation into the start of the fire.

The fire had been mainly put out on Marsden Moor. Credit: ITV News

Countryside Manager for the National Trust, Craig Best, said the fire was ''started by people'' and could have easily been avoided.

He said: "It’s so frustrating to see yet another fire on our moors after all the hard work our team have put in to try and restore the landscape after last time.

"Although not on the same area of land as the 2019 fire, this fire has also destroyed a crucial area for rare birds and mammals.

''Unfortunately, this was another fire started by people, and could have so easily been avoided."

The National Trust have reminded people that BBQs and fires are banned on the moor and that people could face a £2000 fine.