Firefighters tackle huge blaze at Hessle plastics factory

  • ITV News Correspondent Frazer Maude at the scene

Firefighters have been praised for "quickly" bringing a large fire at a plastic factory in Hessle under control.

Plumes of black smoke were seen across the Humber as fire crews battled overnight to extinguish the fire.

Humberside Fire and Rescue said there were no injuries or loss of life as it praised efforts of its crews.

Fire Control Room Operators received 127 calls regarding the large fire.

On Thursday morning, seven fire engines remained on the scene and Humberside Fire and Rescue have said that they believe they have the fire contained.

The service said: "Our crews and partner agencies worked quickly to bring this fire under control and reduce the impact to other buildings and land. We’re still onsite to make sure everything remains safe."

The aftermath of the fire at a plastic factory in Hessle

In a tweet, Humberside Fire and Rescue said: "Thank you to East Coast Partners @HFRS @LincsFireRescue, @Norfolkfire for their support during the incident, and thank you to our communities for their patience and understanding during this incident."

The service shared dramatic drone footage that showed the sheer scale of the blaze at Bridgewood Plastics on Saxon Way.

The company makes plastic shower trays for the caravan industry and it is believed that there is where the fire started.

There have been reports of explosions being heard from the site of the fire and some residents nearby told ITV News that their homes had no power in the aftermath of the fire.

One eyewitness told ITV News that at one point the explosions were around 10 seconds apart.

It is believed that the fire broke out at around 3.30 pm on Wednesday afternoon and within minutes the smoke could be seen from across the Humber on the south bank and in the east of Hull on Hedon road.

It is believed that the fire was centred around a number of buildings on a large industrial estate.

It is understood that nearby factory and office buildings and homes were evacuated.