Girl left with brain injury after incident at Hull's Archbishop Sentamu Academy

Neeka Atkinson in hospital
Neeka Atkinson remains in hospital after the incident. Credit: MEN Media

Police have arrested a teenage boy after a schoolgirl suffered a brain injury and was placed in an induced come after an incident in a school playground.

Neeka Atkinson was allegedly injured by a boy she knew at Archbishop Sentamu Academy, in Hull, on Friday 8 July.

She was initially conscious, but began fitting and was taken to hospital, where she was placed in an induced coma.

He sister, Alisha said: "They found that she had a big blood clot on her brain. Within minutes she was rushed to surgery that she was in for four hours."

Neeka Atkinson before her injury. Credit: MEN Media

She said Neeka had since regained consciousness, but could only use the right side of her face and was struggling to speak.

She said she had asked her grandmother if she was "dead" because her body was not functioning.The school's executive principal Helen Winn said: "We are all desperately worried about our 13-year-old student following an incident last week.

"All our thoughts are with her, her family and her friends at this very difficult time."We are enormously grateful for the outstanding work of our healthcare professionals who we know are doing all they can for her.

"Because of the police involvement in the case, we are unable to say anything further at this stage."

Archbishop Sentamu Academy in Hull

Humberside Police confirmed they are investigating.

A force spokeswoman said: "We received a call shortly after 4pm reporting that the girl had suffered a serious injury, reportedly caused by a boy who is known to her, earlier that day while at school."She was taken to a local hospital, where she has been responding to treatment and currently remains in a stable condition. The matter is being investigated by detectives and a number of enquiries have already been carried out to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident."A teenage boy was arrested and interviewed in connection with the incident on Friday before being released on bail whilst our investigation continues."

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...