Text death driver is jailed

A young driver who killed a woman whilst texting at the wheel has been sent to a young offenders' institution for three and a half years

Live updates

Texting driver kills a grandmother

A driver has been sent jail for three and half years after a text message from behind the wheel of car led to the death of a grandmother.

Nikita Ainley was asking a friend about a night out when her car ploughed into another vehicle, killing Mary Rutherford from East Yorkshire.

Mrs Rutherfords daughter was at York Crown court today when Ainley was sentenced. She says her mother need not have died that day. Tina Gelder reports.

Dangers of texting and driving

Mary Rutherford died in head-on crash Credit: family photo

Sixty eight year old Mary Rutherford, from Withernsea, died when the car she was in was hit head on by Nikita Ainley. She was just 18 and was sending a message on her mobile phone as she drove.

Mrs Rutherford's daughter, Dawn Timmings has previously spoken about her grief and anger over the way her mother died:

"My mum didn't deserve to die like that. I just don't understand what could be so important that you'd put people's lives at risk like that."

Phone records proved that Ainely, now 20, had been sending a message when she smashed head-on into Mrs Rutherford's car in May 2011.

But it was only last month that she pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving. Road safety campaigners say sentences should be tough and that people who text while driving can e up to 23 times more likely to crash

Mum and daughter in happier times Credit: family photo
scene of the crash near Withernsea in 2011 Credit: Calendar news


Text death driver is jailed

A young driver who killed a woman whilst texting at the wheel has been sentenced to three and a half years in a young offenders' Institution. Nikita Ainley was 18 when she hit Mary Rutherford near Withernsea in East Yorkshire.

Now aged 20, she pleaded guilty last month to causing death by dangerous driving and was sentenced today at York Crown Court.

Back to top