- 7 updates
Brett Ferres is relieved he did not go ahead with plans to book a family holiday in November as he prepares to make his second England appearance on his home ground.
The Huddersfield Giants second rower was forced to cancel one holiday earlier this year after he was called into England coach Steve McNamara's squad for the mid-season clash with the Exiles.
Ferres was tempted to take his family away at the end of the domestic season but held off just in case he got the call for the World Cup, which duly came for him to make his England debut last Saturday against Australia and he looks certain to keep his spot for Saturday's game with Ireland.
"Luckily I didn't book one this time. I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time this time," said 27-year-old Ferres.
The former Bradford, Wakefield and Castleford player was well down the pecking order at the start of the year, missing out on a place in McNamara's elite training squad, and his World Cup hopes looked to have been dashed when he was left out of the 24-man squad at the start of the month.
But McNamara asked Ferres to go on the training camp in South Africa and act as first reserve in case of injury and, although he did not think twice, he admits it was an awkward situation.
"I wasn't wishing for anybody to get hurt. We're all striving for the same goal. I was no different, even though I wasn't part of the squad as such, " he said.
"It was difficult, being so close and yet so far away. I think the ruling has changed and you can change the squad throughout the World Cup.
"I was there as a bit of a safety net and I saw it as an opportunity to remain in the frame and to get some valuable training. It was a bit of perseverance and a case of working hard and keeping my head down and it paid off."
England have decided not to appeal the one-match ban handed out to Dewsbury forward Sam Burgess for his high tackle during Saturday's 28-20 opening World Cup defeat by Australia at the Millennium Stadium.
Burgess was placed on report by referee Henry Perenara for the swinging arm that concussed Brisbane second rower Sam Thaiday in the second half of the match and on Monday was given a one-match ban by an international match-review panel after being found guilty of a grade A careless tackle.
Burgess had the right to contest the decision at a hearing at the Rugby Football League's Leeds headquarters but England announced that he will not be appealing the decision.
It means he will miss Saturday's second group A game against Ireland at a sold-out John Smith's Stadium in Huddersfield but is set to return against Fiji at Hull a week later.
The Rugby League World Cup comes to Hull on Sunday.
In the first of three fixtures to be held in the city, Papua New Guinea take on France in Group B at Craven Park.
Papua New Guinea return to Craven Park on Monday 4 November to face Samoa, then England are at the KC Stadium on Saturday 9 September to face Fiji in Group A.
The city of Hull is getting ready for a big weekend of international sporting action.
Three of the Rugby League World Cup's matches are due to be played in the city with the first between Papua New Guinea and France on Sunday. James Webster's been finding out how the city's getting ready.
Leeds Rhinos' Ryan Hall knows he cannot rely solely on past glory but he will be aiming to consolidate his reputation as the world's best winger when he goes up against Australia on Saturday.
England's World Cup opener against the Kangaroos at the Millennium Stadium will bring the memories flooding back of Hall's finest hour, his superbly-executed two-try display against them in the Four Nations Series at Wembley two years ago.
It elevated him onto the world stage and he confirmed his status shortly afterwards with a 95-metre try against Australian champions Manly Sea Eagles to help Leeds become world club champions.
Hall, who has scored 13 tries in 15 appearances for his country, is hoping once more to be in the spotlight and was ready for the obvious question at an England media session at Loughborough University.
"A lot of people have mentioned the tries I scored in 2011 at Wembley," he said. "Obviously that was a great stepping stone in my life. It kind of set the ball rolling for a lot of things happened quickly after that with my profile being lifted.
"So obviously there are fond memories from a personal aspect but the objective was to win the game and obviously we didn't do that. Hopefully there is no better stage to put that right this year."
Former Castleford player Ryan McGoldrick has pulled out of the United States' World Cup squad for personal reasons.
The 32-year-old centre or stand-off linked up with the Tomahawks on their return from Toulouse, where they gained a shock 22-18 win over France in a warm-up match on Friday, but on Monday night the team announced his withdrawal.
The Tomahawks have decided not to call up a replacement and have welcomed into their squad former Hull KR forward Clint Newton and Wigan's new signing Eddy Pettybourne who sat out the France game.
Latest ITV News reports
Australia coach Tim Sheens says his team must stop ex-Bradford Bulls star Sam Burgess to make a winning start to their World Cup campaign.