- 5 updates
Lawyers representing Sir Cliff Richard have accused MPs of damaging the singer by releasing a letter from South Yorkshire Police to the media.
The letter, released earlier this week, said the police investigation had "increased significantly in size" and contained "more than one allegation". Sir Richard's lawyers complain the letter did not need to be published, and its publication "encouraged widespread publicity".
Sir Cliff has previously said the claims against him were "absurd and untrue" and he had "never, in my life, assaulted anyone."
He was interviewed under caution last year by detectives investigating a sex crime involving a young boy in the 1980s, but was not arrested or charged.
Sir Cliff Richard's lawyers have written to Home Affairs Committee chairman Keith Vaz MP accusing the committee of causing the singer "a further round of unnecessary and extremely damaging media coverage with no due process" by publishing a letter about the South Yorkshire Police sex abuse investigation earlier this week.
The police investigation into veteran singer Sir Cliff Richard has "increased significantly in size" since its inception and involves "more than one allegation", South Yorkshire's Chief Constable has revealed.
The force are currently investigating the singer following allegations in relation to a concert in Sheffield in the 1980s.
David Crompton said the "expanding nature" of the investigation meant he could not give a date when it would be concluded.
In a letter to Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, Mr Crompton said the force was in regular contact with Sir Cliff's lawyers.
Calendar news understands that a letter does exist between Keith Vaz and the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police, but the force maintains that any discussion of its contents has not come from their office.
The publication of the letter from Mr Crompton, dated February 10, followed a scathing independent report into an agreement between South Yorkshire Police (SYP) and the BBC which led to a raid on the singer's home being broadcast live around the world.
The independent report found that the deal "certainly interfered with his privacy and may well have caused unnecessary distress".
Following the raid, Sir Cliff was interviewed by detectives investigating a claim of a sex crime involving a young boy, but was not arrested or charged.
Former chief constable Andy Trotter said SYP should never have a made a deal with the broadcaster - a decision taken after BBC reporter Dan Johnson went to the force saying he knew they were investigating the veteran entertainer.
Mr Crompton said a Metropolitan Police investigation into the source of the leak to the BBC had been unable to find the source