Live updates

York College nursery to stay closed

A nursery in York is going to close until November following the death of a child.

3-year-old Lydia Bishop died after being seriously injured in the playground at York College nursery. A decision has been made to keep the nursery closed until at least 5 November 2012.

It is as an investigation involving North Yorkshire Police, Ofsted, the Health & Safety Executive and York College is carried out.

The letter provides parents with details of the support available through the Family Information Service, to help them secure alternative childcare. It also details other advice and services available through the team.

– City of York Council spokesperson


Council send letters to parents whose children attend York nursery involved in toddler tragedy

Staff told investigation is underway to find out what happened at York College. The nursery will remain shut while agencies investigate death of Lydia.

A letter was sent out to all parents advising them about alternative childcare options.

Very tragically a three year old child died at York College Day Nursery in the outdoor play area. Whenever a child dies unexpectedly a review or investigation needs to take place. This has now begun and involves partners including North Yorkshire Police, Ofsted, the Health and Safety Executive and the college themselves.

– York Council

The nursery is closed so that any investigative work that needs to be carried out can take place. It is also to provide staff space to come to terms with what has happened and for the college to reassure itself of safety before reopening.

– York Council

Father's Facebook tribute to York toddler

The father of a toddler from York, killed when she became tangled in playground equipment at nursery has paid tribute to his 'little princess'.

3 year old Lydia Bishop died in hospital after the accident on Monday. It was her first ever day in nursery.

"Sweet dreams our little princess we love you so much and will never stop, sleep tight our little angel we are always here for you, mummy and daddy :) :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx also thank you all for your kind messages of support and love."

– Brad Bishop, Lydia's father

Nursery death happened on Lydia's first day

Police have revealed that three year old Lydia Bishop died in an accident on her very first day at the York college nursery. Her parents, Brad and Rebecca, released a photograph of their daughter and asked for privacy.

“This was an extremely tragic accident which unfortunately happened during Lydia’s first day at nursery. Her family are understandably very distressed and are being supported by specially trained police officers as they try to come to terms with their loss. Officers are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident with various other agencies to try and establish how this tragic event occurred.”

– Detective Chief Inspector Nigel Costell, North Yorkshire Police


Investigation continues into toddler's death

Flowers at the scene today

Detectives and health and safety officers are back at York college nursery today - the scene of yesterday's tragic death of a three year old toddler. Flowers have been placed at the gates of the nursery, which remains closed today.

Helen Kinder, the mother of another child at the nursery summed up the mood there. She said:

"We're all shocked. The mother will have lost a beautiful girl. I lost a child myself. I know how that feels."

Load more updates