He was breathalysed and arrested after parking in a marked police bay in York.Read the full story ›
The hearing was told that the intruder had demanded money but was eventually restrained by the two brothers, who repeatedly punched him.Read the full story ›
The defendants shared a bottle of vodka as part of a ‘pre-exam night out’ before trashing the exhibition at a school in Lincolnshire.Read the full story ›
A man accused of launching a machete attack in Sheffield has been remanded into custody.
Sy Daouda, of Wensley Street, Grimesthorpe, was charged this morning (Friday 1 February) with section 18 wounding with intent and possession of a bladed article.
The 21-year-old appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court this morning (Friday 1 February) and was remanded into custody.
At around 9.26am yesterday (Thursday 31 January), officers were called to McDonald’s on High Street in Sheffield city centre to reports of a man with a machete.
A 47-year-old man suffered non-life threatening injuries and was taken to hospital but has since been released.
He is next due to appear at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday, 1st of March.
Sy Daouda, charged with section 18 wounding with intent and possession of a bladed article, will appear at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court.Read the full story ›
A number of courts are set to be closed following a government consultation.
The Department of Justice is aiming to reduce the annual cost of courts by £500 million.
The following courts will be closed:
- Halifax County Court and Family Court
- Halifax (Calderdale) Magistrates' and Family Court
- Rotherham Magistrates' Court, County Court and Family Court
- Scunthorpe Magistrates’ Court, County Court and Family Court
- Wakefield Magistrates’ Court
Our courts and tribunal system is in need of urgent reform. Maintaining our underused and dilapidated court buildings costs the taxpayer £500 million a year but some courts sit for less than half the time available.
This is simply unsustainable. Closing these courts in poor quality buildings will raise £40 million to re-invest in the justice system, and save hard-working taxpayers £27 million per year.
The decision to close a court is never taken lightly, but in the digital age I am confident we have measures in place to ensure access to justice is not diminished.
An arrest warrant has been issued for the father of a baby who died after a TV fell on his head in Burnley.
Edward Hanratty admitted child neglect following the death of four-month-old Kian, but failed to appear at court for sentencing.
Natalie McMillan, Kian's mother, had previously pleaded guilty to child cruelty on the basis of neglect. Yesterday, she was sentenced to 15 months in prison.
A man who said God told him to try to kill a tourist by hitting him over the head with a cobble in York has been jailed for a minimum of four and a half years. Paul Knipe, 44, struck South African holidaymaker Lyle Thole several times as he was returning to his hotel leaving him needing 30 stitches.
He told 78-year-old Mr Thole he was mentally ill and was going to kill him during the attack in July last year. Knipe has been sentenced to imprisonment for public protection at York Crown Court after earlier pleading guilty to attempted murder.