Live updates

Police considering course of action after death of Nottinghamshire soldier

Surrey Police says it is considering what action to take

A report has found there is a case to answer for misconduct after a soldier from Nottinghamshire was knocked down and killed by a police car in Surrey.

Surrey Police have received their own copy of the IPCC report into Joshua Brown's death and are considering what action to take.

A force spokesman said: "Surrey Police has recently received the IPCC report into the circumstances surrounding a fatal collision on the A31 Hog's Back on 1 December 2012.

"The force still awaits a copy of the IPCC investigation file upon which the report is based. Once this is received it will be reviewed by officers from the Professional Standards Department to determine the most appropriate course of action."


Witnesses sought after man dies while police arrest son

The police watchdog investigating how a man died in Leeds after collapsing while officers arrested his son are calling for any witnesses to come forward.

West Yorkshire Police say 54-year-old Nazim Din tried to intervene while officers carried out a pre-planned arrest in Wortley on Wednesday evening.

Police say he collapsed in the street and officers carried out CPR. Mr Din was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where he died

The IPCC is appealing for anyone with information about the incident, including photographs or video footage, to contact them.

This will be an extremely distressing time for Mr Din’s family and my condolences go out to them at this difficult time. I want to reassure them that we will do everything we can to find out what took place. Our investigation is moving at a steady pace but it is vital anyone with information contacts the IPCC so that we can build a full picture of the events of the evening of 28 August.”

– IPCC Commissioner Cindy Butts

Anyone with information should contact the IPCC on or 0800 096 9074.


Family of man who died after arrest "devastated"

The family of a man who died after an arrest in Leeds say he was a doting father.

West Yorkshire Police were making a pre-planned arrest at a house in Wortley last night when he collapsed. He died later in hospital.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission are investigating.

"As a family we are devastated by the death of Nazim Din. He was a family man, a loving husband and a doting father of five children who he leaves behind. Nazim had much to live for..."

The family then went on to say

"...He had done nothing wrong. He was a law-abiding and peaceful man. We urge the police to fully co-operate with those investigating Nazim’s death so that the facts can be brought to light as quickly as possible. We have suffered a terrible loss and do not want to struggle for answers whilst grieving. That is the least the police and the press can do for us at this time."

– Family of Nazim Din

Investigation at scene where man died after arrest in Leeds

The Independent Police Complaints Commission say their officers have carried out an inspection of the scene where a man collapsed and later died as an arrest was made at a house in Leeds.

"On 28 August West Yorkshire police made the IPCC aware of an incident in the Wortley area of Leeds.

"The force has told the IPCC that a 34-year-old man being arrested on suspicion of criminal damage as part of a pre-planned operation suffered a 'medical episode' and was taken to Leeds General Infirmary.

"West Yorkshire police also reported that a 54-year-old man collapsed at the scene and later died. Two IPCC investigators were sent to carry out an assessment and declared that an independent investigation was necessary a short time later."

– IPCC spokesman

Police patrol area where man died after arrest in Leeds

The scene in Wortley, Leeds

Neighbourhood police officers are patrolling the area where a man died after an arrest was made at a house in Leeds.

West Yorkshire Police were making a pre-planned arrest in Wortley when a man collapsed. He went to hospital but has now recovered.

Officers are now answering questions from residents.

A second man at the house collapsed and died later in hospital.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission are investigating.

Load more updates