Live updates


Former retail giant in court

Sir David Jones (left) has plead not guilty to three charges of fraud Credit: Press Association

Ilkley retail grandee Sir David Jones has appeared before Leeds Crown Court judge to deny three counts of fraud.

The 70-year-old former boss of JJB Sports faced two counts of making a misleading statement, contrary to the Financial Services and Markets Act, and one count of using a false instrument, contrary to the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act.

The charges refer to the period between July and October 2009 when he was executive chairman of JJB Sports.

He said not guilty to each of the three charges when they were read out by the clerk.

He will stand trial next year, with it expected to run for five weeks, with extra time allowed as the former retail expert has Parkinson's disease.

Sir David came into court carrying two copies of his autobiography Next To Me.

The charges of making a misleading statement referred to £1.5 million loans received from fellow sportswear giants Dave Whelan and Mike Ashley. The charges relate to stock market announcements.

The false instrument charge related to an allegedly false bank statement.

Court absconder arrested

A Leeds man who went missing after failing to appear at court has been arrested.

Michael Tordoff-Brown, aged 49, from Wortley, was detained without incident in Ilkley in the early hours of this morning following an operation by officers from West Yorkshire Police. He is currently in custody.

His arrest follows earlier searches and appeals for information in Cumbria and North Yorkshire after he failed to attend Leeds Crown Court last week for trial on sexual offences.


Former ITV Accountant who stole thousands from employer has been jailed

Darren Smith, of Leeds, has today been jailed for three and a half years for his part in defrauding ITV, the company he used to work for.

The former accountant was accused of defrauding ITV by providing false invoices. Steve Marsden, who conspired with Smith has been sentenced to 2 years in jail.

The pair were found guilty of providing 29 false invoices that came to a total of £141, 960. They set up a fake company to claim the pay for fictitious work.

The Judge at Leeds Crown Court today, said Smith stole a serious amount of money through a serious breach of the company's trust.

"You set out on a repeated act of criminality, which you carried out over a protracted period of time, recruiting Marsden, sending false invoices and setting up a fictitious company"

– James Spencer QC

The court heard that Darren Smith, who has two children aged 7 and 9 years old, had racked up a debt totalling £846,000. The court also heard that Mr Smith has told his children he is going away to train as a teacher and that he will make it up to them when he gets out.

Father jailed for baby murder

In a statement read in court, Ms Rudd said: "Richard has only ever been brilliant with Grace and me since she was born. He is a very proud dad." They remain in a relationship, the court was told during the trial.

Barnes denied murder but was found guilty by a jury after a short deliberation.

He was jailed for life by the judge, Mr Justice Cooke, who ordered him to serve a minimum of 13 years before he is considered for release.

Father jailed for killing his eight-week-old baby by crushing her skull

Richard Barnes has been told he must serve a minimum of 13 years in prison.

Barnes was found guilty of murdering baby Grace at Leeds Crown Court.

Senior officers called the case "a tragedy".

Jurors heard how Barnes had secretly drunk whisky and vodka before he was left with his daughter. After she suffered the devastating injuries, he went out to buy more alcohol rather than call an ambulance.

Barnes, 27, caused the injuries in November last year at the family home in Crowther Street, Castleford.

The jury heard there were no concerns about Grace's care during her short life and the family home Barnes shared with Stephanie Rudd, his partner since 2006, was "spotless".

Fatal crash driver jailed

A 30 year old man has been jailed for 7 years after he was found guilty of a string of serious driving offences, one of which resulted in the death of a father of five. Paul Pilotille pleaded guilty at Leeds Crown Court to causing death by dangerous driving, driving whilst

disqualified, handling stolen goods and aggravated vehicle taking. He was sentenced to a minimum term of seven years imprisonment and disqualified from driving for ten years. He will have to take a higher standard driving test before he will be licensed to drive again.

Load more updates