Live updates

Work on Lincoln mosque is well underway

Work on mosque is well underway

Fundraisers behind a mosque that is being built in Lincoln say they have almost raised the full £1.6 million pounds needed to complete the project.

Work is already well underway on Boultham Park Road in the city centre with more than £1.3 million having been raised. The chairman of the Islamic Association, Tanweer Ahmed, says he is hopeful the building could be completed by September with only £280,000 left to find.

Humberside Police reaction to the mosque arson sentencing

"This incident caused concern within a number of our local communities in North East Lincolnshire so it was important that police worked to bring these offenders to justice and reassure those communities who were affected. This was a difficult time for the Muslim community, both on a local and national level, so I would personally like to thank the majority of people who provided support to them.

"This will not hinder the good work that Humberside Police and representatives from the Mosque do to help bring communities together and promote cohesion across North East Lincolnshire."

– Neighbourhood Inspector Mel Christine Humberside Police


The CCTV used in court which showed the mosque arsonists in action

Two ex-soldiers who fire-bombed a mosque in revenge for the killing of soldier Lee Rigby were caught on CCTV preparing petrol bombs and throwing them at the building.

Stuart Harness and Gavin Humphries were shown in footage each carrying two home-made petrol bombs from Harness’s home in the town.

Grimsby Crown Court was shown footage from more cameras, which caught them later, launching the bombs at the doors of the Grimsby Islamic Cultural Centre, four days after Fusilier Rigby was killed outside Woolwich Barracks, in London, in May.

Mosque arson: two former soldiers who firebombed a mosque in Grimsby following the murder of soldier Lee Rigby have each been jailed for six years.

The mosque fire-bombed by two former soldiers Credit: ITV Yorkshire

Two former soldiers who firebombed a mosque in Grimsby following the murder of soldier Lee Rigby have each been jailed for six years. Stuart Harness, 34, and Gavin Humphries, 37, made petrol bombs and threw them at the Grimsby Islamic Cultural Centre.

They were being filmed on CCTV cameras they thought were turned off. They were jailed by Judge Mark Bury at Hull Crown Court after admitting arson being reckless as to whether life was endangered at an earlier hearing.


Man denies mosque petrol bomb attack

A man has denied aiding and abetting a petrol bomb attack on a mosque in Grimsby carried out in reprisal for the murder of drummer Lee Rigby

Twenty four year old Daniel Cressey from New Holland denied driving Stewart Harness and Gavin Humphreys with four homemade explosives to the mosque on Weelsby Road in Grimsby on the 26th of May. Harness and Humphreys have both pleaded guilty to the attack. The trial continues at Grimsby Crown Court

Council says "it's business as usual" despite mosque protests

The City Council of Lincoln says people shouldn't be put off visiting the city tomorrow, despite two planned protests.

The group 'the East Anglian Patriots' are staging a static protest against the building of a mosque in Lincoln, which already has planning permission on this site.

A counter demonstration is also taking place. John Latham of the City of Lincoln Council says shoppers should expect 'business as usual', along with a heavier police presence.

Two former soldiers in court over Grimsby arson

Grimsby Magistrates court Credit: Calendar

Two former soldiers are appearing in court this lunchtime charged in connection with an alleged petrol bombing of a mosque in Grimsby.

Stuart Harness, 33, and Gavin Humphries, aged 37, are appearing at Grimsby Magistrates' Court today charged with arson with intent to endanger life after the Grimsby Islamic Cultural Centre was attacked.

The centre, on Weelsby Road, was allegedly attacked on Sunday.They've been remanded in custody.

Load more updates