An inquest has heard how a build-up of fumes from foam filler caused an explosion which killed a father and daughter in Newark earlier this year.
The bodies of 71-year-old Leslie Rourke and his daughter-in-law Jeanette Rourke, 40, were found inside the terraced house on Wright Street after it collapsed in May.
A coroner today ruled their deaths were accidental, after hearing that experts had determined at least 18 cans of foam filler had been used in a short space of time within a confined cellar area - and it should only be used in a well ventilated space.
Supt Mike Manley, from Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This was clearly a tragic accident which resulted in two people losing their lives. The blast was caused by a build-up of fumes from foam filler advised to only be used in a well ventilated space.
“The devastation caused in terms of both the loss to the Rourke family and also to the local people of Newark is indescribable. Our thoughts go out to Leslie and Jeanette’s family and friends and all those who knew them.”