The Government say around a fifth of civil servants are on strike today as several unions take part in industrial action.
A Cabinet Office spokesperson said:
“Most public sector workers have reported for work today and well-rehearsed contingency plans are ensuring that nearly all key public services are being delivered as usual.
“In past years, unions made inflated claims about how many they thought would participate in strike action. They were shown to be wrong."
The statement said:
- a fifth of civil servants - fewer than 90,000 – are on strike – that is down from the strike action in March 2013;
- all 717 Jobcentres opened this morning;
- the majority of schools in England and Wales are open;
- fire services are operating across the country; and
- nationally, disruption to local government services is minimal.
Almost 600 schools have been closed across the region as teachers join a public sector strike.
Teachers across the Yorkshire and Lincolnshire will be out on strike on Thursday 10th July. Click here to see if your school is closed