Murder accused 'attacked second woman'

Caroline Coyne was found dead in Nottingham 14 months ago Credit: ITV Central

The man accused of murdering mother-of-two Caroline Coyne also sexually assaulted a different woman a month later, a court has heard.

Carl Powell, of no fixed address, is accused of killing Ms Coyne, 28, whose body was found in an alleyway. She suffered fatal head injuries and was found in between houses in Thorneywood Mount, St Ann's, Nottingham, on July 23rd last year.

A jury at Nottingham Crown Court heard that Powell, who denies murder and a further three charges of false imprisonment, false imprisonment with intent to commit a sexual offence, and sexual assault, grabbed another woman around the neck and dragged her across a road in the early hours of August 24th last year.

The 21-year-old woman, who cannot be identified, said she was attacked and sexually assaulted by Powell in the Carlton Road area of the city when he pulled her into the grounds of a college.

Shaun Smith QC, representing Powell, put it to her that Powell had approached the woman and grabbed her because he thought she was someone else and, when he realised he did not know her, he stopped.

The woman said Powell strangled her, with both hands, for around a minute and told the court: "I was having a lot of difficulty breathing, which would not have been like that if it had been just a few seconds."

She said Powell tried to make her touch him sexually both over and under his clothes but had not made any attempt to grope her and had not become verbally or physically nasty.

The court heard that the pair walked together for around 45 minutes and had kissed around three times on the mile-long journey.

Asked why she did not try to get help from passers-by or passing cars, the witness told the court she was worried that the attempt would not have worked and would have angered Powell when he realised she was trying to get away from him.

She said: "If I felt that there was an opportunity that would have been effective, for example, if a police car had passed that I could have jumped in front of, I would have done."

The trial was adjourned and will continue tomorrow.