1. ITV Report

Leicester City prepare for sixth Championship Play-offs appearance


Leicester City players appear dejected after being knocked out of the play offs after the final whistle by Cardiff City Credit: Adam Davy/EMPICS Sport

Leicester City were left devastated after losing to Cardiff in a dramatic penalty shoot-out after coming from behind in the tie.

A stunning free-kick from talisman Peter Whittingham gave Cardiff the advantage over Leicester City at the half-way point of the tie.

Leicester City's Matthew Fryatt misses his side's best chance of the game. Credit: Nigel French/PA Archive/Press Association Images

Leicester City seemed sluggish to start off with and only began to play when they goal conceded 15 minutes from time.

Substitute Matthew Fryatt had the pick of the Foxes' chances, missing a one-on-one opportunity.

Leicester then endured heart-break in the second leg after fighting back despite conceding an early Michael Chopra goal.

Leicester City players appear dejected after being knocked out of the play offs after the final whistle. Credit: Adam Davy/EMPICS Sport

Goals from Matty Fryatt, a Mark Hudson own goal and Andy King put the Foxes ahead overall before a Peter Whittingham penalty took the game to penalties.

Yann Kermorgant proved to be the villain of the match as his attempted chip down the middle for his penalty was easily saved. That and Martyn Waghorn's miss put Leicester out.


Leicester City captain Steve Walsh, with cup, celebrates their 2-1 win over Crystal Palace at Wembley Credit: Michael Stephens/PA Archive/Press Association Images

Leicester beat Stoke City 1-0 on aggregate in a nervy semi-final before facing Crystal Palace at Wembley.

Crystal Palace took the lead after 14 minutes thanks to an Andy Roberts effort and Palace held the lead until half-time.

Leicester City celebrate promotion to the Premier League Credit: ubrey Washington/EMPICS Sport

After the break Leicester came out fighting and the continued pressure eventually resulted in a Garry Parker penalty with 15 minutes remaining.

In extra time Martin O'Neill made the controversial decision to send on 6ft 7in goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac who he thought would be more effective in the shoot-out.

Straight after the substitution, Steve Claridge volleyed home the winner from 20 yards out with just half a minute left to seal a famous win.


Leicester City celebrate reaching the Premier League after beating Derby County. Credit: Derek Cox/PA Archive/Press Association Images

This was Leicester City's third consecutive final after the heart-break of losses to Blackburn Rovers and Swindon Town. This time they faced East Midlands rivals Derby County.

It looked like being a third defeat on the bounce after they went behind thanks to a Tommy Johnson finish after 28 minutes.

Leicester City's Steve Walsh celebrates scoring his second goal in the Play-off Final Credit: Derek Cox/PA Archive/Press Association Images

But Leicester equalised just before half-time through Steve Walsh's close range finish despite Derby's claims the goal should not stand because of a foul in the build-up.

Derby dominated the second half but Leicester scored what proved to be the winner after Walsh converted Ian Ormondroyd's parried header into the net to cue jubilant scenes from the Foxes fans.

More on this story