Teenager who died after taking 'contaminated' drugs was on one of his first nights out

Dylan Booth died after taking a 'bad batch' of drugs Credit: BPM Media

Video report by ITV News Central reporter Chris Halpin

A clubber who died after taking a 'bad batch' of suspected Class A drugs had just turned 18 and was on one of his first nights out.

The teenager, named locally by friends as Dylan Booth, lost his fight for life in hospital after taking the contaminated drug.

He was among five people believed to have fallen ill after taking a tablet distributed at The Rainbow club in Digbeth at New Year celebrations.

The other four were allowed home after hospital treatment.

People paid tribute to the teenager on Facebook, Michelle Sadler posted:

“Just turned 18, first time out and ends this way. Thinking of Dylan’s family.”

In other Facebook tributes, Amyjo Thompson wrote: "RIP Dylan, rest easy boy. May God be with you and your family. My heart goes out to you all.”

And Ben Lozynsky wrote: “Rest in peace to my boy Dylan Booth. It’s truly heartbreaking to see one of my closest friends at school has been taken away at such a young age. It’s truly tragic I don’t even have words to say. RIP man.”

Dylan, from Chelmsley Wood, said on his own Facebook page that he was a former pupil of Archbishop Ilsley School, in Acocks Green.

He was taken to hospital on New Year’s Day.

As he fought for life, Dylan’s sister Demi updated her Facebook account with a picture of his hand being held in hospital and the caption: “Keep fighting bro.”

Officers believe they were distributed at The Rainbow on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

Police are appealing for information and want to speak to two men and a woman who may have been distributing them. One of the men and the woman were mixed race. The other man was white and wore a fluorescent jacket and white shirt.

The force is urging anyone who may have taken the tablets to exercise extreme caution and dial 999 at the first sign of becoming unwell.

The Rainbow club does have a recent chequered past.

Last August, a reveller celebrating his birthday there fell down a flight of stairs and was left unconscious after he was punched on a balcony.

A second incident later the same month left a customer with a fractured skull and police and council officers called for its licence to be reviewed.

Birmingham City Council licensing chiefs heard last September that the victim was left lying in the street for 15 minutes. The attack was allegedly carried out by two members of security staff and a steward.

Two other customers were also injured and it was alleged one staff member used a police-style extendable baton.