The mum of a seven-month-old boy has been told he will have to be vaccinated again because a fridge used to store vaccines in a GP’s surgery was broken.

Sian Curless’s baby boy was four months old when he was given the jabs for whooping cough and other illnesses back in October last year.

However this week Sian, from Eastern Green, Coventry, received a letter from Broad Lane Surgery saying her son will have to go through the ordeal again because between October and November the storage fridge’s thermometer was showing the wrong temperature.

The letter was hand delivered to me.

Sian Curless

A spokesman for the surgery confirmed that a malfunction was identified.

Vaccination fridge temperatures at Broad Lane Surgery are checked on a daily basis and following those checks a malfunction was identified.

Surgery spokesman

Dr Ash Banerjee, who is the screening and immunisation lead for the West Midlands assured people that patient care issues are taken very seriously.

Vaccinations are the best way to protect you and your child against many preventable illnesses.

Dr Ash Banerjee, screening and immunisation lead for the West Midlands