Warning after make-up mirror causes house fire

Firefighters have issued a warning over the dangers of unsuspecting hazards in the home after a fire was caused by sunlight reflecting off a make-up mirror.

The blaze in a bedroom at a house on Great North Road in the village of Weston, Nottinghamshire took hold just before 2pm yesterday afternoon.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue service said it was a result of sunlight shining through a window, hitting a magnifying make-up mirror and causing an intense beam of heat to catch fire to some nearby curtains.

The owner of the house used a bath mat to tackle the fire, which was in its early stages. They were given oxygen by the emergency services after inhaling smoke, but did not require hospital treatment.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue service said: