Network Rail has announced a major programme of works to take place over the Easter weekend. The work, mostly taking place across the West Midlands and Staffordshire, means passenger services will be disrupted.
In the West Midlands, the £250m upgrade of the railway between Stafford and Crewe will be virtually completed when a new flyover at Norton Bridge opens to trains, removing one of the last bottlenecks on the West Coast main line. Once complete, faster, more frequent and more reliable services will be possible.
The work will mean London Midland, CrossCountry and Virgin Trainsservices through the Stafford area are affected from the last trains on Thursday 24 March until the first trains on Tuesday 29 March.
Passengers are being advised to check before they travel over the Easter bank holiday weekend, click here
Virgin Trains arrangements:
- From Friday 25-Monday 28 March - London to/from Birmingham New Street/Wolverhampton, Manchester Piccadilly, Liverpool Lime Street, Glasgow Central & Edinburgh will be affected. This means alterations or reduced services.
- On Monday 28 March - London to/from Birmingham New Street/Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury, as well as London to/from Manchester Piccadilly will be affected
- On Tuesday 29 & Wednesday 30 March - London to/from Birmingham New Street/ Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury will be affected
Cross Country Train arrangements:
- From Friday 25 to Monday 28 March an hourly train service will operate between Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham New Street with journey times extended by approximately 20 minutes. Trains will not call at Wolverhampton.
- Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 March trains between Manchester Piccadilly - Birmingham New Street will be affected with some services unable to call at Wolverhampton. Journey times will remain unaffected.
London Midland arrangements:
- Friday 25 until Monday 28 March - works between Stafford and Crewe affect train services in both directions between London Euston and Crewe and between Birmingham New Street and Liverpool Lime Street and a revised timetable will be in operation.
- A rail replacement coach service will operate in both directions between Crewe and Stafford and between Stoke-on-Trent, Stone and Stafford.
- Friday 25 until Wednesday 30 March - works between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton affect train services in both directions between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton.
- There will also be alterations to services between Birmingham New Street and Shrewsbury and between Birmingham New Street and Liverpool Lime Street. A rail replacement coach service will operate in both directions between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton, calling at local stations.
- A revised timetable will also operate in both directions between Lichfield and Redditch on the 'Cross City' line, and between Rugeley, Walsall to Birmingham New Street