Tragic teen died after taking ecstasy for the first time

MDMA-ecstasy and traces of another substance were found in Dylan's system according to a toxicology report. Credit: BPM Media

A teenager died after taking ecstasy for the first time on New Year’s Eve – having told his mum: “Don’t worry, I won’t do anything like that”.

Dylan Booth was just 18 and on his first night out in Birmingham when he took the tablets at the Rainbow club in Digbeth last December.

His mum Michelle Booth told his inquest they had spoken about drugs before he went out.

She said: “I told him to be careful.

“He said: ‘Don’t worry mum, I won’t do anything like that’.”

Birmingham Coroner’s Court heard that Dylan and friend Liam Kane paid £10 each for tablets from an unidentified dealer inside the club after having around 20 drinks each.

Dylan had earlier told his pal: “I’ve taken something – I’m flying” and said he “wanted some more”. But the teenager fell ill and later told his mum: “I think I’m going to die”.

He vomited up to 30 times during the afternoon and evening of New Year’s Day and was rushed to Heartlands Hospital.

Dylan, a labourer, of Yorkminster Drive, Chelmsley Wood, died on January 3.

The Rainbow Club in Digbeth where Dylan took the tablets. Credit: BPM Media.

It was only in the weeks afterwards that his family discovered he had taken MDMA – ecstasy – tablets. Forensic toxicologist Mark Tyler told the inquest that ecstasy and another drug, Alpha pvp, were found in Dylan’s system.

Both were present in very low doses but the levels could have been much higher when he took the drugs, Mr Tyler said.

“There’s no way of telling how one person [who takes the drug] will react, against someone else,” Mr Tyler said.

“We don’t know if Dylan had an adverse reaction to a normal dose, or had taken a pill with a particularly high dose.”

And he warned that anyone taking ecstasy was putting their health at risk.

Det Insp Richard Marsh, of West Midlands Police, said investigations had ruled out that Dylan had taken a contaminated batch of ecstasy.

He said officers had not found the dealer who sold the drugs but Birmingham City Council’s licensing officials were aware that dealing was going on at the Rainbow Club.

Assistant coroner Emma Brown said she believed Dylan had only taken drugs on the one occasion. She said:

“He was usually a sensible young man but on this night he’d been drinking and took drugs during the excitement of a big night out.”

She recorded a conclusion that Dylan died from a drug-related death.