Wave of electrical fires sparks safety warning

Credit: PA Images

Warning as tumble dryer explodes blowing hole in roof

A rise in the number of electrical fires across Staffordshire involving household electrical items like tumble dryers has sparked a safety warning.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is now urging people to be vigilant while using similar electrical items in the wake of the blazes.

The warning comes after six separate incidents, three involving tumble dryers, and one each involving a dishwasher, washing machine and fridge-freezer, happened in August.

Electrical fires involving white goods during August is not only very upsetting for those affected but could potentially have put their lives at risk. I cannot stress strongly enough how important it is to never leave your washing machine on overnight or when you are out of the property. Tumble dryer filters should be cleaned regularly and fluff removed. Householders should also clean behind fridges and freezers to ensure that the air vents do not become blocked.

Fire Investigation Officer Paul Shaw

Read more: Fire chief warns of 'killer' washing machines