Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Smoke alarm saves family from kitchen fire

The smoke alarm alerted a 5 year old boy to the fire. Photo: PA

Several people, including a baby and young child managed to escape a fire in their house after their smoke alarm went off.

In the early hours of this morning, Firefighters from Chesterfield and Staveley attended the house fire on York Street in Chesterfield. After a night out, one adult began cooking and failed to turn the chip pan off before falling asleep. The chip pan then started a fire in the kitchen.

The smoke alarm alerted a 5 year old boy to the fire. He warned the adults, who were able to extinguish the fire and evacuate the property.

A large part of the property was smoke damaged and several people have been taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire service have stressed the importance of working smoke alarms:

Thankfully a working smoke alarm was able to raise the alarm and wake a young boy who alerted the adults of the fire.

As a fire & rescue service we continue to promote the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted on every level of the home. I cannot stress enough the lifesaving importance of smoke alarms,and on this occasion, they have proved to do the job they are designed for and potentially saved several lives.

– Andy Lee, Station Manager

Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service have issued the following safety information:

  • Ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted on every level of the home – check it is working weekly.
  • Ensure you have a planned and practiced escape route, that everyone in the house is aware of.
  • Never leave cooking unattended - particularly if using a chip pan.
  • If returning hungry after a night out, grab a takeaway– Never cook after consuming alcohol.