Sports club warned of the dangers of nettings after fox's brush with death

A fox was entangled in netting in Cannock in Staffordshire Credit: RSPCA

Sports clubs have been urged not to leave netting out overnight after a young fox got its entire body entangled in a football goal net.

The RSPCA cited a fox's ordeal at a school in Cannock in Staffordshire as a prime example of the dangers netting can pose to wildlife, including birds and hedgehogs.

RSPCA staff took the fox to the charity's Stapeley Grange wildlife centre inNantwich, Cheshire, to be safely released from the net and placed on a drip due to his weak condition.