Teens who fractured pensioner's skull by throwing stones at taxi are ordered to pay £50 each

Four teenagers who fractured a pensioner's skull by throwing stones at a taxi in a "reckless" attack have been ordered to pay the victim £50 each.

CCTV taken from the taxi shows the stone hitting the woman after it smashed through the glass in the attack in Edgbaston in Birmingham, last May.

Blood can be seen streaming down the victim's face as her companion tries to help her. Pictures taken afterwards show severe bruising to her face.

The woman, who has not been named, is in her 70s.

The woman was left with a fractured skull and severe bruising Credit: SWNS

At Birmingham Youth Court today, the boys, all aged between 15 and 17, were also placed under a curfew and given 12 month rehabilitation orders.

ITV News Central reporter Andy Bevan was in court for the verdict:

  • Watch the moment the stones were thrown (video credit: Dudley Private Hire and Taxi Association)

District Judge Joanna Dickens said:

If you were adults you would all be going to jail today for a lengthy period of time, such is the seriousness.

District Judge Joanna Dickens

The boys targeted a hackney carriage as it carried the elderly couple along Bellevue Avenue on May 25 2016.

Its driver said in a statement that he accelerated when he saw a group of youths appear from behind a tree at the roadside, after recalling other attacks on cabs in the same area.

The next moment he heard a "loud bang" and the sound of "smashing glass", said prosecutor Angela Hallan.

The missile had shattered a window, hitting the 77-year-old woman and showering her fellow passenger in shards of glass.

The pensioner was left bleeding and "screaming" in shock and pain.

I remember a loud bang and glass smashing. When I saw the blood on my hands, I realised I'd been hit by something on my head.

Victim impact statement

In a victim impact statement, the injured woman said she and her husband had enjoyed a night out to the Birmingham Hippodrome, seeing The Sound of Music, before getting a cab home.

The taxi driver described hearing his passenger screaming after the attack and, deciding it would be quicker than waiting for an ambulance, he drove her to hospital.

Doctors diagnosed a skull fracture, with the court told she had been left both mentally and physically scarred.

At an earlier youth court hearing, a 17-year-old admitted wounding and was convicted of conspiracy to commit damage to other cabs.

Five other taxis had been hit that same night, causing at least £1,600 in damage and one of which was also carrying a passenger.

Two 16-year-olds and another youth, 15, were also convicted of wounding and conspiracy to damage taxis.

Sentencing the four Birmingham teenagers, who cannot be named because of their ages, Judge Dickens said there had been "serious consequences" not only for the victim but for the youths.

The court heard that three of the youngsters' families were now being evicted from their homes as a result of their involvement.

The oldest youth told the judge he was "sorry", while one of the 16-year-olds expressed his remorse saying he had had "sleepless nights" about his actions.

The youngest attacker, aged 15, said "I feel bad for the injured woman", while the remaining youth, also 16, also apologised.